HISTORY OF CROMER:
Cromer, a suburb of Northern Beaches, is named after the seaside town of Cromer in Norfolk, England. Up until 1940, Cromer was known as Dee Why West but changed to Cromer after the Dee Why Golf Links were taken over by the Cromer Country Club in 1940. The club then applied to have the areas name changed and permission was granted to create a new suburb. Cromer is located 20 kilometers north east from Sydney central business district and is apart of the Northern Beaches Council district.
The latest census conducted showed that the population of Cromer is 7,161.
Situated in the suburb are two public schools, Cromer Public School and Cromer High School, providing education to the local and surrounding communities.
Cromer has a small set of shops on South Creek Road with a takeaway shop, bottle shop, newsagent, bakery and convenience store.
Recreation & Sport
There are a number of reserves and parks in Cromer including Truman Reserve, Wambiri Place Reserve, St Matthews Farm Reserve, Dee Why West Recreation Reserve, James Morgan Reserve, Inman Park. All these parks and reserves provide Cromer with a variety of sports such as soccer, rugby union, touch football, baseball, softball and cricket.
Warringah Archers was established in 1975 by David Onslow and a work colleague Danny Stasenka. Luckily for the new club and its members Warringah Shire Council started to allocate school grounds for sport so after attending a meeting at Cromer High School they were allocated a spot to form Warringah Woodsmen Archery Club in 1976.
On 31 March 1940 the Dee Why Golf Club became Cromer Country Club Ltd. Cromer Golf Club is located adjacent to Narrabeen Lakes and the surrounding Garigal National Park and has a classic bush land setting. The clubhouse offers excellent dining and function facilities.